Monday, November 9, 2009

Top locals at the OBX Marathon

Several area runners had strong finishes at Sunday's OBX Marathon. Bill Shires (who I profiled back in August) was the top Charlotte finisher, placing seventh overall with a 2:43:44. In doing so, the 44-year-old locked up several awards -- including the top N.C. USA Track & Field and N.C. Road Runners Club of America masters titles -- and took home $1,200 in prize money.

In an e-mail to me Sunday night, he wrote: "Heading into the OBX Marathon, I had a lot of concerns about a small injury in the week before the race. But the injury never posed any issues. In fact, the heat and moreso humidity and wind had greater effects on my race as well as other runners in the race." (Bill celebrated this morning by running six miles, extending his staggering streak of running at least a mile every day since October of 1986.)

Three other local men also came in under three hours: Douglas Rappoport of Charlotte (2:55:10), Stephen Ahrens of Charlotte (2:55:22), and David Audet (2:58:12).

Meanwhile, Megan Hovis (who I profiled along with husband Ben last week) was the No. 2 female finisher in 2:56:54. Haven't heard from either of them yet, but here's an excerpt from the Charlotte Running Club's weekly newsletter, which went out Sunday night: "Last year's overall female winner of the race, Megan Hovis, battled an aching knee the whole race, but held on strong. While it wasn't a PR, Megan finished ... with a solid time ... The injury was more severe for Ben ... [He] trained hard, and could have easily run 2:30, if it weren't for an Achilles [injury] that caused him to pull out of the race."

Also worth noting: Four Charlotteans broke 1:30 in the OBX Half Marathon Sunday. Daniel Matena was eighth overall with a 1:13:57; Chris Lamperski was 13th with a 1:15:15; Kent Morris finished right behind him in 1:16:35; and Caitlin Chrisman was the third overall female finisher in 1:20:24.

In a recap she e-mailed to me this afternoon, Caitlin wrote: "The first mile was right at the pace I was aiming for -- 6:05 -- and I felt relaxed. For the next 6-7 miles, I was running 5:59s, but that glorious pace slowed down once I hit the bridge that has a killer hill in it."

She says the next mile split clicked off at 6:30, and that she contemplated dropping out. But "after I crested the hill, I got my mind back together and, with three miles left, I continued to drop my pace back down. ... My goal going into the race was to run sub-1:20, so initially I was slightly disappointed. [Then] I realized I had over a two minute PR and also won some money [$650]."

For complete OBX results, click here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Doug!

Anonymous said...

Many in the surrounding area around Charlotte ran OBX as well and finished - 2 others were in the top 100 in over a 3500 running field! Way to go!!!!