Saturday, June 27, 2009

How I plan to get to NYC

Though this was keeping no one up at night -- except maybe me -- some of you might be interested to know I've officially decided to train for the ING New York City Marathon using the 16-week Bart Yasso program that appears in the July issue of Runner's World magazine.


The plan includes two rest days a week (I'll probably swim on those days), three easy days a week, one day of hard work (hills or speed), and one weekly long run. Longest long run is 22 miles, in Week 13; that's also the highest-mileage week (48).

(Wish I could pass along a link to the Yasso/RW plan, but for some reason, I can't seem to find it on the Runner's World Web site. If someone's located it, please let me know!)

I'm switching my long-run day from Sunday to Saturday, which means I have to do some minor tinkering toward the end since "Race Day" no longer matches up. I'll also face an interesting challenge later this summer when I'll be needing to log a 30-plus-mile week ... while on vacation in Spain.

Over the past five weeks, I've averaged a little over 25 miles a week. Week 1 of the Yasso plan calls for 25 miles total. This is an "intermediate" program recommended for someone who's run at least one marathon. (And NYC will be my first, as you may know -- I just started running last September, have run four half-marathons, and have never run longer than about 15 miles. Feel free to criticize my judgment.)

NYC is Sunday, Nov. 1, which means I'll start on the plan the week of July 12. The competitive side of me is shooting for a 3:30 marathon. The practical side of me will be happy to break four hours. Wish me luck.

Running a marathon this fall? What plan are you following?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your training.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a solid plan. Make sure you actually rest on your "rest" days.

A suggestion is to start your training a week early, and then take a break while you are on vacation. You can still run on vacation, but you won't be off your plan if you can't fit in your long run that week.

Anonymous said...

Oh! CLASSIC newby mistake! Do the novice training plan. If you push this hard in the beginning of your "running career" you will get injured and you will burn out.

You're not smarter about running than the experts who create the training plans and set the skill level for each so heed their advice! Do the novice plan for this marathon and the intermediate for the next one.

Dee said...

I'd definitely recommend changing your plan a bit. Start with the novice marathon training schedule. You may feel like an experienced runner but I can promise you that starting with the novice plan is the best move. I had been running for 8 years before I attempted my first marathon and still used the novice plan. Four of those years were D1 college running too. Marathon training is very different than regular training take it easy on your first one.

Also do NOT make your goal anything other than finishing the marathon. A 3:30 marathon is a seriously fast time and while you may very well be capable of doing it you are just going to be upset if you fail to run that time instead of proud of the immense accomplishment of finishing your first marathon.

Michael said...

I'm training for Chicago using Jenny Hadfield's beginner plan posted on the official Chicago Marathon website. I've been a serious recreational runner for 7-8 years now, and this will be my first marathon.

Anonymous said...

I am running the Kiawah marathon (my 3rd) 4 hr 4 sec pr so far, gunning for 3:30. I will be doing a 3 day a week program where you run 3 days, Cross train 3 days (bike, gym workout, hills) and 1 day of rest. Takes off that "wasted mileage" and keeps away injuries, you just have to make sure you have a strong base mileage down. Good Luck

Anonymous said...

While 3 days weekly is fine, the extra miles are not wasted. Gotta log some serious miles to prepare.

Anonymous said...

I've run 13 marathons, and the novice running plan is sufficient to get you under 4 hours. If you try for more, I predict (sorry, but usually true) an injury, plus a setback or two in trying to "keep up."

Anonymous said...

Your pr for 1/2 is 1:47:39. The "formula" is double that and add 10-20 minutes (higher for a newbie). BTW, NYC is NOT the place for a middle of the packer (which you and I are) to go fast. You will be in a crowd from start to finish. While I wish you well, and I'll be there, too, for my second NYC, me thinks your goal is a bit aggressive. NYC is an "event" marathon, not a place for setting records. Prepare to enjoy the setting. Also, the logistics and late start can have an impact. Lots of waiting.