Wednesday, April 15, 2009

And we're off to the races ...

News and notes about upcoming events:

  • One of the city's biggest annual races, Charlotte RaceFest at SouthPark, is this Saturday. Last year, 800-plus runners finished the 10K, and more than 1,100 completed the half-marathon. Online registration for 2009 is closed, but you can register in person from 3-9 p.m. Friday at the Doubletree hotel in SouthPark (6300 Morrison Blvd.). Cost in $40 for the 10K, $50 for the half. I hear the RaceFest course is challenging (i.e. hilly), with a big climb at the end. The weather Saturday is forecast to be mostly sunny, with a high near 75.
  • The Marine Corps Marathon, arguably the most popular 26.2-miler among casual and first-time marathoners, has almost reached its capacity of 30,000 registered runners (98 percent full at last check). Race day is Oct. 25. D.C. is 6.5 hours from here, but I know about a dozen people who've run it before and the consensus is that it's well worth the trip. If I weren't trying to get into New York, I'd be all over this.
  • The Morrison YMCA in Ballantyne, which puts on an annual 5K, just announced that it is adding a 10K as well as a post-race Fun Run for families this year. Race day is Saturday, May 16. Register online at www.sportoften.com, or in person at any Run for Your Life store (or at the Morrison Y).
I'm in for the half at RaceFest, and I'm also registered for the Right Moves for Youth Twilight 5K on the evening of May 8 (7 p.m. start uptown!) and the Tri-Latta Triathlon in June (my first tri!).

What do you guys have on your race card this spring?

1 comments:

LaurieTPR said...

I'm only a short distance runner at this point, but working my way up to a 10K. I'm planning on running the CPCC Skyline 5K next weekend, the Twilight 5K, King Tiger 5K in University and the Run For Your Life 4 Miler.