Sunday, May 10, 2009

Daily Mile = Facebook for runners

Anyone who follows me on Twitter or Facebook knows my m.o.: My tweets and my status updates are almost exclusively related to my training.

To some, my mini-reports probably became tedious long ago. I'd imagine others construe them as gloating. But I hope there are at least a few people out there who find them inspiring -- who maybe have started (or have kept to) their own running plans at least in very small part because of me.

If you fall into the latter group, you're likely to summon even more motivation from the social network Daily Mile. (Thanks to reader Brad Mintz for pointing this one out!)

The Web site -- live since December -- allows you to log miles, post details of your workouts for friends to see, ask questions, and find training partners, local group runs and races. It's free to join, and it's aimed not only at runners but also cyclists and triathletes.

There are plenty of sites out there that give you a place to record your progress -- I've been using the training log at RunnersWorld.com practically since I started running. But what makes Daily Mile's so appealing is the open, friendly, easy-to-use interface.

Check it out here. And if you sign up, add me as a friend! My oh-so-clever username is ... theodenjanes.

0 comments: