Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Run for Peace at Home update

Earlier today, a friend who knows that I'm running Saturday's Charlotte Run for Peace at Home at McAlpine Creek Greenway warned me that the course might be holding onto a lot of the rainwater we've gotten over the past several days.

So I e-mailed race president Zac Reilly and asked him whether I should wear older running shoes and expect to get wet. He replied:

"I personally went out there on Tuesday morning (right after most of the hard rain had passed) ... . There were occasional instances of puddles, and the hill is a slight concern because there's been some run-off. Overall the course looked really good -- even after all that. McAlpine does a great job of keeping the course manicured before our event."

He added: "Personally, I would wear my good shoes regardless, but you can expect that there may be puddles. The good news is that the water in the puddles at McAlpine tends to be more on the clear side than muddy. This is due to the fact that the course is sprinkled with gravel."

Nearly 300 runners are registered for the race. Reilly said that could soar to 500 to 600 if the weather cooperates. (Shoot, there would go my chance at a medal!) Online registration has closed, but you can still register for $30 on race day. Click here for more info.

0 comments: